Sunday, February 5, 2012

Simple Styling Sundays: How to make Orange work

Happy Sunday everybody! Perhaps you're currently nursing a hangover, starting homework you've put off way too long, or just got back from Sunday brunch. Either way, just take a break and read about spring and summer's hottest trend: the color orange.

Initially, I thought about this post because a friend of mine asked me the question, "How can I wear orange without looking too halloween-y?" Must say, it's a valid question. For the longest time, orange was not a usual color we'd incorporate into our outfits, and anything with orange and black looked like a costume. Well, this year's SS runways proves us all wrong:




Down left column to down right (SS '12) : A Detacher, Anne Valerie Hash, Balenciaga, BCBG Max Azria, 
Alexander McQueen, Antonio Berardi, Carven, Charlotte Ronson 

As we can all really tell, orange is the next 'it' color, especially since these are from runway designers from only our basic ABC's...Anyways, I'm really loving this orange craze. Whether it is orange accents from A Detacher to full orange ensembles from Alexander McQueen (still amazed by that collection) to orange incorporated into designs like Antonio Berardi's dress or Carven's shorts. But instead of just referencing these runways, I wanted to illustrate more everyday friendly ways to make use out of that orange shirt or sweater sitting in the back of your closet.

see outfit details here

First, I wanted to start off with a relaxed every day outfit. To me, I think orange striped or layered shirts can replace your plaid for spring and summer. If you're scared about experimenting with other colors, then simply match orange to white. How easy is that? I'd top off with bright accenting colors like a neon yellow, electric blue, or even a peppermint green. Also, gold jewelry will always match orange no matter what shade either are. I usually have a debate between silver or gold jewelry, but with orange, just always reach for your gold or even bronze items. In this outfit, notice how orange is not an over powering color. If you're afraid of too much orange, stay on trend by wearing one simple orange item. Don't go for the overkill!

see outfit details here

What about for a casual date or lunch with friends? Try taking a bright orange sweater and again pairing it with neutrals. Wear it with a floral printed skirt, a white bib collared shirt, or other floral accessories to calm down the color and turn it into a delicate outfit. I also paired it with popsicle and smoothie colored inspired accessories. Kind of reminds me of skittles with bright yellow heels, bright pink bracelet, and light strawberry clutch. I think this is my favorite color combination to use with orange. It's so spring! I finished with cat-eye sunglasses for a retro appeal. With Louis Vuitton and Prada spring ad campaigns, and Banana Republic announcing they will release a Mad Men Collection # 2, you know that retro will be very trendy in the upcoming seasons. 

see outfit details here

Lastly, I wanted to demonstrate how to incorporate orange into a night outfit. The biggest challenge is to get over the orange+black=halloween combo. Strange enough, I overcame this by pairing orange accessories with a black printed dress. Sounds backwards, right? A print seems like it'd be more costume-like, but actually it offsets the usage of the two colors together. I love star-printed anything, so it'd be perfect to compliment this dress with bright orange accessories. No, it doesn't look like halloween! Just think of it as orange accessories taking over your staple neon clutches, hot pink shoes, or bright red lipstick. I would just try to neutralize the outfit by not wearing ALL orange accessories, the black tulle necklace balances out the outfit. Adopt one bright orange accessory, or wear all of these. I personally cannot wait for spring and summer to come, so I can sport my bright orange lipstick once again :) 

Hope these illustrations will help you in the upcoming seasons. If you have more questions about what can match with orange, please feel free to leave a comment or email me!

--Christine
                           
 

4 comments:

  1. Beautiful - I love orange for spring, such a pretty color :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Katherine! Yeah, orange is becoming my new favorite spring color :)

      Delete
  2. orange lip colour is really in now too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Chloe have you tried? It would be really pretty on your skin tone :)

      Delete