Tuesday, May 22, 2012

First Day Outfit Rules

jacket: ann taylor loft, shirt: street shopping, skirt: daniel hetcher, heels: anne klein, purse: valentina, bracelet: asos

Knowing what to wear on the first day is always nerve-wracking. You don't know the work environment, or what other people might wear. What's acceptable, what's not acceptable and so on and so forth. I wasn't quite sure what to wear on my first day at Nylon either. Would people be dressed exactly as inside the magazine, or not at all? Should I come in in Jeffrey Campells, neon cutoffs, and spiked bracelets (ok, maybe this style is a little exaggerated...but you get the picture!)? But then again, it is a work environment, so maybe my outfit should be a little more subdued. These were the thoughts I had while choosing my outfit the night before. I decided to stick to some key rules: 
1) Go more dressed up. Whether or not jeans are accepted at work, you want to look more formal at least on the first day then scope out the dress code at work. 
2) A classic style works anywhere. And it's pretty true. Anyone can appreciate a clean and simple outfit. 
3) Make sure to also be functional. For me, I didn't really know what to expect at this internship. As the first magazine I'll be working at, I didn't know exactly what interns do, or what they'd have me do on the first day. 
Overall, I included a clean and classic style, weather proof jacket, non fussy hair, dressed up but more comfortable shoes for walking, and a functional purse that wouldn't get in my way while I'm running around.

This outfit is simple, put together, and helped me have a good first day :)

Hope summer is treating everyone well!

--Christine 

No comments:

Post a Comment