Friday, February 8, 2013

NYFW FW'13: Tadashi Shoji




images via style.com

Officially the first runway show I have been to! And what a beautiful collection to see. The inspiration behind Shoji's Fall'13 collection was the Russian Empire--very winter-like and dark. It's from the time when the Russian Empire fell and aristocrats fled to Siberia in peasant clothing. The collection is the marriage of the rich and poor, experimenting with lace and burnouts. I was intrigued by the guipure lace dresses in gray and mauve above. Guipure lace is a large lace without netting--something most of us aren't used to seeing today. Punchy red accents added drama as I imagined the fall of the Russian Empire in my head (with help from the requiem of a dream-esque music at the show). The end look was a long winter white gown covered in sheer, bright blue lace with a capelet draped over, signifying the escape of the aristocrat woman. The only disappointing part of Shoji's show was that his beautiful gowns aren't for the every day RTW, but something tells me, come fall, I will be mimicking these dark, winter dresses and fancying myself as a Imperial romantic on the run. 

--Christine    







No comments:

Post a Comment